The year 2022 is almost at its end and so far we’ve got some really awesome pokemon rom hacks this year. And among them, there are some that have gotten really really popular among pokemon fans.
Today, we’ll be looking at some of the best new pokemon rom hacks that you should definitely try out. As the title suggests, we will be covering rom hacks in general, mainly GBA & NDS ROM Hacks.
We will mention a brief description and some of the notable features of each game + screenshots.
Also, be sure to visit otakuharbor.com for anime, manga, manhwa recommendations, news, game guides & much more!
You can also find the download link for each of the ROM Hacks listed in this post.
So, without further ado, here are the 25 Best Pokemon ROM Hacks of 2022
25. Pokemon Wally Quest
A simple, plot-centric game based on RHH’s battle engine. The story is based on Emerald and ORAS, with additions to the main plotline, a new rival/antagonist, sidequests, and post-game episodes. There is also a bit of a catch-them-all subtheme.
Play as Wally, go out and explore Hoenn, make friends and save the world!
- Physical/special split, Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, etc
- All Pokemon, movesets, TMs, and Move Tutors up to Gen VII, up to and including Melmetal
- More double battles. Gym Leader and E4 rematches, as well as some boss fights, will be doubles
- All Pokemon have “perfect IVs”
- NPC opponents have EVs and natures
- Gym Guides offer “battles” for fast leveling
- EV-training NPCs: Unlockable through side events
- Other QoL Changes
24. Pokemon Exceeded
Pokémon Exceeded is a new emerald decompilation hack. One major feature is Innate (a relatively rare feature among Hack Roms), which functions as a Pokémon ability, but the Pokémon can have up to three Innates. Some effects interact with Innates, such as Mold Breaker abilities and Gastro Acid, while others, such as Neutralizing Gas, have no impact on them. And some Pokémon can be unlocked via level, friendship, evolution, or even quests!
- Pokemon up to Gen 8.
- New side quests, New maps & New items.
- Custom Starter Pokémon trio (you can also choose specific region starters, including from Pokémon Unbound).
- Over 150 new Abilities/Innates.
- Over 50 new moves, including terrains and Pokémon Unite’s ultimate!
- Over 150 moves were changed (base power, accuracy, PP, effect, etc).
- A lot of customization, you can choose if you want to activate:
- Nuzlocke mode, Randomization, optional challenges, Sandbox mode, Physical/Special split, Inversed type effectiveness, “No Damage” challenge from SmallAnt, AI choose your actions in battle, Mirror mode, etc.
- 4 Game Difficulties – Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard.
- Reusable TMs, including new TMs.
- Mega Evolutions, DexNav, Move Relearner & Egg Move Relearner.
23. Pokemon Trick-or-Treat House
The Trick Master is back from his journey around the world, and this Halloween, he’s bringing all the new puzzles together for one heck of a Halloween Treat! Make your way through forty different puzzles, from old classic movement-style puzzles to brand-new tricks and treats never seen before in Pokemon! Collect candy! Go trick or treating! Battle against other costumed trainers! Can you make it through them all?
- Select three starter pokemon from a random selection of twelve!
- 40 different puzzles, ranging from mazes to battle gauntlets to logic puzzles. Several are community submitted!
- Candy is everywhere! Pokemon drop candy and items! Every rock and tree could be hiding some candy!
- Over 40 types of candy to find scattered everywhere, featuring various use and hold effects, some never seen before.
- There’s a mysterious Trick Mistress vying for making the best puzzle possible, and she’s asking for your help!
- Pokemon up to Gen 8
- In-game per-puzzle timer!
- Several puzzles have randomized elements, which can be turned off in Half-Moon mode!
- Costumes: Mudkid, sported by our boy Brendan. Torchick, worn by our girl May. Or Treekid, donned by our enby buddy.
22. Pokemon Fused Dimensions
Pokemon Fused Dimensions is a mod of Pokemon FireRed featuring a dex replaced with fusions.
- A dex full of fusions, 376 to be more precise, all of them obtainable.
- Mega Evolution
- Custom Dex entries for every fusion, as well as the base stats on it.
- Some of the HMs have different typing and effect
- Forgettable HMs & Infinite TMs
- Physical/Special split
- Increased Shiny odds
- Added the Link Cable item to evolve Trade Pokemon
- All the wild Pokemon changed due to their design or lore
21. Pokemon Fire Red Extended
A FireRed Remake Project With A Lot Of Advanced Enhancements!
- Pokemon from Gen 1-8 (Kanto To Galar).
- Custom Level For Starter Evolution.
- HUD & Updated Layouts For Better Experience.
- IVs, Natural Display Added & PSS Icons Inserted.
- Unique Events
- Party Specific Evolution (Remoraid + Mantyke = Mantine).
- Custom Wormhole System & Sideway Stairs GFX.
- Revamped Map GFX & Custom Battle Background GFX.
- Advanced Move Tutor In Every PokeMart.
- Replaced Elite Four With The Ultimate Pokemon League!
- Field Moves. (Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Flash, Rock Smash, Waterfall, Dive, Dig, Sweet Scent, Rock Climb, Dig, Headbutt, Drillrun, Bulldoze, Thief, Growth).
- New Fossil Resurrection System For Gen 1-8 Fossils (Use Thief On Hikers/ Dig In Certain Maps).
- Safari Zone Expanded To 4000$ (Does Not Count Steps + 60 Safari Balls)
20. Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu & Eevee GBA
Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu & Eevee GBA are a pair of FireRed hacks based loosely on the Switch games.
- Pikachu/Eevee as your starter
- Following Pokemon
- New Maps, New Characters & New Events
- Updated Graphics, Overworld Pokemon & New Sprites
- Mega Evolution
- Galarian and Alolan forms
19. Pokemon Glazed
oday’s the day you turn twelve years old, which means today is the day you get your first Pokemon. But if you were expecting an uneventful journey across the Tunod region, you’d be dead wrong. A mysterious power is sending the Pokemon world and the real world on a collision course. A mysterious team lurks around the ruins of ancient Tunod, with a mysterious purpose. You’ll meet allies in three roaming trainers from the Johto region, as well as a scarfed Pikachu hell-bent on revenge. Will you be able to handle it?
- Mega Evolution
- New Story, New Region, New Sprites
- Updated Graphics
- All Pokemon have their proper cries
- & More
18. Pokemon The Last Fire Red
A FireRed hack with the same story but with new features & events to discover.
- Mega Evolution (In Battle) / Primal Reversion / Ultra Burst / Dynamax (In Battle)
- Z Moves (with Animations)
- Expanded PC Boxes (up to 24!), Expanded Bag
- All Pokemon, Moves, Abilities, Items, Item Effects through Gen 7
- Fairy Type, High difficulty & New Rivals
- New Items (Shiny Charm, GEMs, Mega Stones, Z-Crystals, and more)
- Totem Pokémon
- Some New Events, Updated Graphics, New Sprites, Running indoors
- Pokes’ IVs, Double battles, PSS System, Repel System, Exp Share
- New Overworlds, New Trainers & New Evolution Methods
- Level Scaling (Trainer Pokemon levels will be set to the highest in your party)
- Ash Greninja-z (transforms in battle with his ability)
- Alolan Forms
- Day/Night/Seasons System
17. Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 Kaizo
Black 2 Kaizo and White 2 Kaizo are all-double battle difficulty hacks of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 versions. They have many features, both for difficulty and quality of life.
- Approximately 450 available Pokemon
- Increased Difficulty
- You will receive 2 Starters
- Additional Pokemon Encounters at 2nd Floor of Every Pokecenter
- A number of items can also be found in shops, including Rare Candies, Berries, Shards, and Heart Scales.
16. Pokemon Fire Gold
The player travels through the center region of Johto and Kanto, to defeat Gyms and battle against Team Rocket. Added in the post-game contents, players will also be able to re-battle gym leaders, encounter Celebi, and trade regional forms.
- Intensive Custom Music Added.
- Johto, Kanto & Mt. Silver!
- Battle 16 Gyms & Challenge Each Region’s Elite Four.
- Roaming Legendaries & VS Seeker Trainers.
- Bug Catching Contest & Apricorn Pokeball Maker.
- Fairy Type, New Moves, New Abilities & Items.
- Galarian & Hisui Forms Were Added In The Game.
- Cameo Events: Lake Of Rage Floods & Clefairy Dance.
Also, check out: Anime You Should Watch If You Like Death Note
15. Pokemon Girls Hunter 3
Pokemon Girls hunter 3 is an 18+ GBA ROM Hack and similar to its prequel, you catch girls instead of pokemon… It has a new region, a new story, 50 catchable girls & 10 kinds of pokemorphed girls.
- More than 50 different kinds of catchable girls and about 10 kinds of Pokemorph girls.
- New Region: Kinav
14. Pokemon Crystal Clear
An open-world crystal hack.
Pick your starter, and your region, customize your character, and then do whatever you want. You can collect all 16 badges, challenge the new E4, catch all 251, rechallenge a gym, and visit new places… There are a lot of things to do.
- Open world
- Pokemon Stadium 2 compatibility
- Start in any town from Johto or Kanto
- 24 starters
- Character customization
- Pokemon palette customization
- Scaling Gyms and Trainers
- Following Pokemon
- Buy a house in any town
13. Pokemon Moon Black 2
After becoming the League Champion and defeating the final Hurrah Island challenge Prof. Kukui allowed Sun/Moon and others to travel to the Unova Region for a year and test what they learned in Alola. Your rival Gladion followed and together you chose new starters for the journey across Unova. Rumors say Team Skull has also been spotted in Unova. Sun/Moon was also granted permission to enter the Regional Tournament at the PWT representing the Alola region if they defeat the Unova Champion!
- Mega Evolution (Outside of battle)
- Pokemon from Unova, Kalos, Alola & Galar
- Unova Forms and Alola Forms
- New Pokemon, New Rivals, New Gym Leaders, Elite Four & Champion, New Items, New Moves & New Events
- Harder Difficulty
- Pokemon World Tournament
12. Pokemon Platinum Redux
Platinum Redux is a difficulty rom hack of Platinum. The changes listed below aim to provide a more challenging Platinum experience focused on teambuilding and battling. The rom currently has a roster of 493 Pokémon.
- Makes every fully evolved Pokémon viable until late game
- Increased (but fair) difficulty, New Hardcore Mode, New events
- The shiny rate is increased to 1/257.
- Wild encounter rates are much lower.
- Every Pokémon evolves by level.
- There are no encounters while surfing.
11. Pokemon Emerald Crest
This hack has vanilla Emerald’s story with many new, later-generation features, and some extra quests.
- Mega Evolutions, Primal Forms, & Z-Moves
- Pokemon from Generation 1-8
- Alolan Forms & Galarian Forms
- Dexnav & Pokedex Plus
- Randomizer Mode, Nuzlocke Mode & Chaos Mode
- Teleportation Service
- Wonder Trade
- Mirror Mod/Thief Mod, Auto Run, Shared Experience (Exp. All), Reusable TMs, Chain fishing
- All Moves, Run indoors
- Improved battle engine & Item expansion.
10. Pokemon Ultimate Fusion
It is an Emerald Hack with Fusion Pokémon and some Minor Changes.
- Fusion Pokemons.
- Revamped Trainer Teams.
- Updated Stats & Moves.
- Some Minor Changes.
9. Pokemon Blaze Black 2 & Volt White 2 Redux
This REDUX Project Is An More Enhanced Edition Of Original Blaze Black 2 & Volt White 2!
- Maximum Evolution Methods Changed!
- More Good Variety Of Gift Pokemon.
- Used Drayno’s Engine & New Important NPCs.
- 3 Game Modes: Easy, Challenge, Black City!
- Every Legendary & Mythical Can Be Captured.
- Item Locations Changes & Updated Pokemon Moves.
- Changes For Type Combo, Trainers, Trade & Wild Area!
8. Pokemon Renegade Platinum (+ Following Renegade Platinum)
Pokémon Renegade Platinum is an enhancement hack of the Pokémon Platinum Version, similar to Drayano’s other hacks such as Sacred Gold & Storm Silver and Blaze Black & Volt White. In a nutshell, this hack generally keeps the same story flow like the original Pokémon Platinum but adds in a significant number of gameplay differences, including but not limited to access to all 493 Pokémon in the game, revamped Trainers including tougher boss fights, lots of (optional) changes to weaker Pokémon to make them easier to use, the removal of trade only evolutions and a number of other quality of life changes.
- All 493 Pokémon Available
- Revamped Trainer Battles
- Harder Boss Battles
- Fairy Type
- Increased Shiny Rate (1/8192 -> 1/512)
- New Special Events and NPCs
- All Wild & Trainer Pokemon Have Been Changed
7. Pokemon Voyager
Thousands of years ago, a cataclysmic event upended the majority of the planet’s landmass. Sea levels rose to drastic levels, forcing Pokémon and mankind alike into the formerly high-altitude region of Keplara. Generations later, the region’s ever-growing population would force humanity to encroach upon the feral Pokémon’s territory, increasing tensions across the region. With no other land on Earth to populate, Keplara’s human residents have begun to explore alternatives for human expansion. Some choose to explore the land or sea, but others turn their attention toward the stars and space-faring technology.
- New story, New characters, Customizable playable character
- 76 Fakemon scattered throughout the region (game focus and initials)
- Battle Factory mode: play a challenge with a Pokémon team for hire
- Some original Pokémon from the 1st to 8th generation
- A highly customizable difficulty, randomizers, challenges, and Nuzlocke modes
- Updated battle engine
6. Pokemon Fusion 3
Pokemon Fusion 3 is a GBA Rom Hack by Grillo & Lugre based on Pokemon Emerald with various Pokemon Fusions, including Pokemon from the Alola Region.
- Fusion Pokemon (including Alolan Pokemon)
- Day/Night System
- Pokemon Platinum-Style Soundtrack
- Checker for IV/EV
- Exp for Catching Pokemon
- New Sprites/Icons/Cries
5. Pokemon Quetzal / Emerald Multiplayer
Pokemon Emerald Multiplayer is a multiplayer version of the good old Pokemon Emerald. You can choose from 11 starters. You can also challenge your friends to a Pokemon battle!
- Multiplayer (local and online) support for 1 to 4 people
- Following Pokemon
- 44 starters
- You can choose the number of Pokémon following you (0-6).
- Choose between 13 playable characters: Brendan, May, Gold, Red, Ash, and Gloria, Elio, Lucas, Rei, Steven, Rocket Grunt, Magma Grunt & Victor)
- Individual, double, and multiple combats against other players from anywhere
- Trades with other players from anywhere
- Battle in co-op mode & Spectator mode
- All 1-3 gen pokemon are obtainable without the need to trade with other games (including legendaries)
- Customizable shiny rate
4. Pokemon Emerald Rogue
Ever wondered what Pokemon might look like as a Roguelike? Pokemon Emerald Rogue is exactly that.
- Randomly chosen routes
- Procedural items, trainers & wild encounters
- Hub area with unlockable buildings/NPCs
- Character customization
- Multiple game config settings e.g. prevent over-leveling, trainer difficulty, double battle mode
- Seeded mode, with individual config settings (useful for multiplayer races)
- Galarian Forms & Mega Evolution (In Battle)
3. Pokemon R.O.W.E.
Pokemon R.O.W.E is an attempt to create an open-world Pokemon Emerald with QoL changes and a high replay value, with diverse team building as the primary goal.
- Open world, Gen 8 Pokemon, Following Pokémon
- Tons of QoL Changes to get your team without having to Breed to get good IVs/Abilities
- Egg Move Tutor
- Chose between 9 starters or get one randomly.
- 3 Different Game Difficulties – Easy, Normal, and Hard
- Regional Music Options(Chose between Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh Music)
- Randomized Mode, Double Battle Mode, Inverse Mode, Perfect IVs Mode, No EVs Mode, Random Party Mode & More!
2. Pokemon Radical Red
This hack is at its core a difficulty hack with additional features; quite similar to Drayano60’s enhancement hacks, which provide access to nearly all the Pokemon while also adding relevant buffs.
- CFRU features (Mega Evolution, Gen 1-8 Pokemon)
- Hisuian Forms
- Dynamax Raid Battles
- Much higher difficulty
- No need for teaching HMs
- Curated buffs to a lot of deserving Pokemon
1. Pokemon Unbound
Welcome to the Borrius Region, a region rich in history. Many years ago the Borrius region fought a brutal war with the Kalos region. The people of the Borrius region summoned a dark force to help them defeat their enemies; however, the war ended in defeat when the king of the Kalos region unleashed the ultimate weapon. With the war over, the dark force was sealed away never to be used again. However, many years later, an organization is known simply as “The Shadows” seems bent on releasing the dark force once again. It’s up to you to stop them and save the Borrius region from ultimate destruction.
- A custom battle engine on par with Gen 8, as well as many qol features
- Pokemon from Gen 1 up to Gen 8
- Unlimited Bag Space, Auto-Run, DexNav, Daily Raids, Inverse Battles
- Over 50 unique songs & Updated Graphics
- Difficulty Modes, starting from Easy to Insane.
- Over 75 unique Missions to complete!
- Character Customization: Choose from up to 300 different combinations
- Daily Events, Exciting Mini-Games, Challenging Puzzles & A Rich Post-game
That was it for the list, let us know what was your favorite pokemon rom hack this year in the comments below!