We’re almost halfway through the year 2023 and so far we’ve got some really awesome pokemon gba rom hacks this year. And among them, there are some that have gotten really really popular among pokemon fans. Today, we’ll be looking at some of the best new pokemon gba rom hacks that you should definitely try out. As, the title suggests, we will only cover gba rom hacks this time but don’t worry, we’ll soon post another top5/10 list for nds and rpgxp fangames. So, without further ado, here are the Top 10 BEST Pokemon GBA ROM Hacks (2023)
Also, if you like anime be sure to visit OtakuHarbor for Anime, Manga, Manhwa/Webtoon Recommendations & basically all things anime!
Best Pokemon GBA ROM Hacks
10. Pokemon Regis’ Origin
- Creator: Hoennwalker
- Version: Beta 1
After 5 years since Brendan/May obtained the title of Champion of the League, everything seems to be at peace… But a shadow rises again with more force over Hoenn… After Rayquaza’s intervention, the weather anomalies seemed to have stopped. But for an unknown reason, these anomalies are reappearing more and more frequently…
Magno and Achilles understood the value of the balance between the Earth and the Sea. Their cold ambitions became their shame and with it, both disappeared… However, these two old rivals will continue to keep their eyes fixed on Hoenn, observing everything that happens… And they will even rearm their still faithful…
Due to the drastic meteorological alterations, Devon will form a research department of which Máximo will be a part. After a terrible incident, he and Plubio will have such a bad feeling that they will not hesitate to ask our protagonist for help.
9. Pokemon Emerald Rogue
- Creator: Pokabbie
- Version: v1.0.3
Ever wondered what Pokemon might look like as a Roguelike?
When you go on an adventure, all routes, encounters, and items are chosen procedurally based on your progress through a run. After a certain number of routes, you will come across a random gym leader with a procedurally selected team of their assigned type; as you progress further into a run, gym leaders and other trainers will begin using more difficult setups for their pokemon. You will have completed the run if you can make it all the way to the champion and defeat them!
When you finish or fail a run, you will return to a hub area where you can buy permanent items and catch new “starter” Pokemon to use in the next run. As you progress through the game, more buildings/NPCs in this hub area will become available for use in preparing for the next run.
- Hub area with unlockable buildings/NPCs
- Character customization
- Multiple game config settings e.g. prevent over leveling, trainer difficulty, double battle mode
- Seeded mode, with individual config settings (useful for multiplayer races)
- Galarian Forms
- Mega Evolution (In Battle)
8. Pokemon Fire Red Extended
- Creator: DjTarma
- Version: v3.3.1
A FireRed Remake Project With A Lot Of Advanced Enhancements!
- Pokemon from Gen 1-8 (Kanto To Galar).
- Custom Level For Starter Evolution.
- Evolve Certain Pokemon With Link Cable.
- IVs, Natural Display Added & PSS Icons Inserted.
- Unique Events.
- Party Specific Evolution (Remoraid + Mantyke = Mantine).
- Custom Wormhole System
- Revamp Map’s GFX & Custom Battle Backgrounds
- Advanced Move Tutor For 2000$ In Every PokeMart.
- Replaced Elite Four With The Ultimate Pokemon League!
- New Fossil Resurrection System For Gen 1-8 Fossils (Use Thief On Hikers/ Dig In Certain Maps).
7. Pokemon Fire Gold
- Creator: Tzx211
- Version: v1.4.1 (Completed)
The player travels through the center region of Johto and Kanto, to defeat Gyms and battle against Team Rocket. Added to the post-game contents, players will also be able to re-battle gym leaders, encounter Celebi, and trade regional forms.
- Intensive Custom Music Added.
- Johto, Kanto & Mt. Silver!
- Battle 16 Gyms & Challenge Each Region’s Elite Four.
- Roaming Legendaries & VS Seeker Trainers.
- Bug Catching Contest & Apricorn Pokeball Maker.
- Fairy Type, New Moves, New Abilities & Items.
- Galarian & Hisui Forms Were Added In The Game.
- Cameo Events: Lake Of Rage Floods & Clefairy Dance.
6. Pokemon Ultimate Fusion
- Creator: Migueon22
- Version: Completed v1
It is an Emerald Hack with Fusion Pokémon and some Minor Changes.
- Fusion Pokemons.
- Revamped Trainer Teams.
- Updated Stats & Moves.
- Some Minor Changes.
5. Pokemon Exceeded
- Creator: Beniboy
- Version: v2.0 (Completed )
Pokémon Exceeded is a new emerald decompilation hack. One major feature is Innate (a relatively rare feature among Hack Roms), which functions as a Pokémon ability, but the Pokémon can have up to three Innates. Some effects interact with Innates, such as Mold Breaker abilities and Gastro Acid, while others, such as Neutralizing Gas, have no impact on them. And some Pokémon can be unlocked via level, friendship, evolution, or even quests!
The basic plot is virtually identical to that of the original Pokémon Emerald, albeit it diverges at one point so that the player can wander wherever they wish. As a post-game, there are new Pokémon and strategies in Pokémon Battle Frontier.
- Pokemon up to Gen 8, Mega Evolution, and Gen VI+ Exp. Share
- New side quests / New maps / New items
- Custom Starter Pokémon trio (you can also choose specific region starters, including from Pokémon Unbound).
- Over 150 new Abilities, Over 50 new moves, including terrains and Pokémon Unite’s ultimate, and Over 150 moves were changed (base power, accuracy, PP, effect, etc).
- A lot of customization, you can choose if you want to activate:
- Nuzlocke mode, Randomization, optional challenges, Sandbox mode, Physical/Special split, Inversed type effectiveness, “No Damage” challenge from SmallAnt, AI choose your actions in battle, Mirror mode, etc.
- Four Different Game Difficulties – Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard.
4. Pokemon Emerald Multiplayer / Pokemon Quetzal
- Creator: TenmaRH
- Version: Alpha 0.6.4
Pokemon Emerald Multiplayer is a multiplayer version of the good old Pokemon Emerald. You can choose from 11 starters. You can also challenge your friends for a Pokemon battle!
- Multiplayer (local and online) support for 1 to 4 people
- Following Pokemon
- You can choose between 44 different starters
- You can choose the number of Pokémon accompanying you (0-6).
- Choose between 6 playable characters: Brendan, May, Gold, Red, Ash, and Gloria + 7 more characters added in v0.6.4 (Elio, Lucas, Rei, Steven, Rocket Grunt, Magma Grunt & Victor)
- Individual, double, and multiple combats against other players from anywhere
- Trades with other players from anywhere
- Battle in co-op mode (battle together against the other trainers in double battles)
- Spectator mode: you can watch the game with other players (and fight alongside them)
- All 1-3 gen pokemon are obtainable without the need to trade with other games (including legendaries)
- Use HMs outside battle without having to learn them
- Customizable shiny rate
3. Pokemon ROWE
- Creator: rioluwott
- Version: v1.7.4 (Completed)
Pokemon R.O.W.E is an attempt to create an open-world Pokemon Emerald with QoL changes and a high replay value, with diverse team building as the primary goal.
- Explore the region in any order you want.
- Pokemon from Gen 1-8
- Following Pokémon
- Tons of QoL Changes to get your team without having to Breed to get good IVs/Abilities
- Egg Move Tutor
- Chose between 9 starters or get one randomly.
- 3 Different Game Difficulties – Easy, Normal, and Hard
- Various Different Modes – Randomized Mode, Double Battle Mode, Inverse Mode, Perfect Ivs Mode, No Evs mode, Random Party Mode, Little Cup-like mode.
2. Pokemon Radical Red
- Creator: Yuuiii
- Version: v3.02 (Completed)
This hack is at its core a difficulty hack with additional features; quite similar to Drayano60’s enhancement hacks, which provide access to nearly all the Pokemon while also adding relevant buffs.
- CFRU features (Mega Evolution, Gen 1-8 Pokemon)
- Hisuian Forms
- Dynamax Raid Battles
- Much higher difficulty
- No need for teaching HMs
- IV grade and colored natures on the summary screen
- An IV perfecter in Celadon for a very steep price
- EV training areas with their corresponding EV training gear
1. Pokemon Unbound
- Creator(s): Skeli
- Version: v2.1.0 (Completed) / Battle Frontier Demo 2.0
Welcome to the Borrius Region, a region rich in history. Many years ago the Borrius region fought a brutal war with the Kalos region. The people of the Borrius region summoned a dark force to help them defeat their enemies; however, the war ended in defeat when the king of the Kalos region unleashed the ultimate weapon. With the war over, the dark force was sealed away never to be used again. However, many years later, an organization is known simply as “The Shadows” seems bent on releasing the dark force once again. It’s up to you to stop them and save the Borrius region from ultimate destruction.
- A custom battle engine on par with Gen 8, as well as many quality of life features
- Pokemon from Gen 1 up to Gen 8
- Unlimited Bag Space, Auto-Run, DexNav, Daily Raids, Inverse Battles, and much more!
- Enjoy over 50 unique songs composed for Pokemon Unbound
- Gen 4 graphics in the overworld and Gen 5-esqe interfaces
- Difficulty Modes: Ranging from Easy to Insane
- Over 75 unique Missions to complete!
- Character Customization: Choose from up to 300 different combinations!
- Daily Events
- Exciting Mini-Games
- Challenging Puzzles
- A Rich Post-Game
Let us know what’s your favorite pokemon gba rom hack from this list in the comments below!
You might also like: