Download Pre-Patched Pokemon Mirage of Tales GBA ROM Hack
- Creator: Avara
- Version: v3.3
- Hack of: Emerald
- Updated: September 5, 2023
Pokemon Mirage of Tales is a GBA Rom Hack by Avara based on Pokemon Emerald in English. And it is now available to download. It was last updated on September 5, 2023.
Also, be sure to check out Pokemon Apollo
Some of you might remember a hilariously awful hack from 2013-2014 called “Mirage Of Tales: A New Age Dawns.” Inspired by my love for class-based RPGs and “Choose Your Own Adventure” books, I started the project after just discovering ROM hacking. I was too excited to jump right in, so there was hardly any planning, and I was learning how to hack (and make things up) as I went along. Naturally, the gameplay was simply horrible.
I have removed the download links because the demos from 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017 no longer reflect my current standard of work. The project has been started and restarted multiple times, first based on FireRed, then Emerald, and now it is based on the Pokéemerald decompilation.
Over the years, I have worked hard to improve my skills in every aspect of ROM hacking and recreate my original vision. In the past, it has always been a solo project, but in 2020, mgriffin became my partner in developing the game. That’s enough of a history lesson for now, I think. Welcome to Mirage Of Tales 2.0!
Avlar is a peaceful country with a long history that is known for its vast woodlands, rolling hills, and towering mountains. You take on the role of an orphaned eighteen-year-old who was fortunate enough to gain a scholarship to the Pokémon Trainer Academy in Umber Valley, a quaint little town in the Ore District.
It’s graduation day, and it’s time to take your final exam, get a job, and venture out into the big wide world with your Pokémon by your side. Which career path will you take? What kind of person are you going to be? It’s entirely up to you. Every choice you make has the potential to alter the course of your life.
You have the option of selecting your own trainer class if you so desire. Each profession has its own set of objectives, missions, and storyline branches. Choose wisely because you only have one chance!
The “default” profession, you are automatically granted this title on the day of your graduation. You’ll have no boss to do things for and no HQ to report back to. If you’d like to play Mirage Of Tales the way you’d play a traditional Pokémon game, having freedom without constraints, this is the path best suited to you!
Like Trainers, these lone criminals are their own bosses. Trainers can obtain the Rogue title by committing small crimes or tricking people into getting what they want.
You have the option of joining the Avlar region’s widely respected Ranger Union. After your initial Academy-style training, your duties as a Pokémon Ranger will involve protecting endangered Pokémon, taking care of the environment, and helping those in need.
Join Avlar’s Research team and become a Pokémon Researcher! You’ll be doing fieldwork or collecting all-important data for your Pokédex, and you’ll even be whisked away to exclusive unexplored areas.
*Note: other Careers included in previous releases will be added later as expansions.
- Choice-based gameplay; every in-game decision can alter the story in some way
- Day/Night and Seasons
- An alignment system; choose your character’s personality
- Overworld wild Pokémon encounters like LGPE
- Houses you can own
- New Moves and Abilities, updated to Gen 7
- The Physical/Special/Status split and Fairy type
- Over 100 custom items and my very own Berries
- Custom regional variants for some Pokémon
- A regional Pokédex including my favorite Pokémon from all generations
- Custom sprites for Trainers/OWs and updated Pokémon sprites for a fresh new look
- Various quality of life changes, such as EXP gain upon Pokémon capture
- Many other secrets that I am not willing to spoil!
I do have a Discord server in which small updates are posted. Meaningful updates will be posted here, but if you’d like to follow day-to-day progress on Discord or chat about the game you would be more than welcome to join our little community.
If I have forgotten you, please let me know! I would never leave you out intentionally. Writing the storyline(s), mapping, scripting, trainer/OW/item sprites, general user interface graphics, and anything else not listed below was done by me.
- mgriffin – For more code-related things than I could possibly count, helping me perfect the OW sprites, and generally being an absolute legend
- Pret & all PokéRuby/PokéEmerald contributors – For the decomp
- DizzyEgg – Battle Engine Upgrade, Pokémon Expansion & Item Expansion
- Myself, Nex, Zeo254, Magiscarf, Hek, Flurmimon, Alistair, Chaoticcherrycake, ThatsSoWitty, Alucus – Tiles
- Ghoulslash – Sideways stairs
- Xhyzi – Dynamic OW Palettes
- animeoverlord – Unwavering support for several years, providing ideas
- Chaos Rush & MrDollSteak – The DS-style 64×64 Pokémon Sprite Resource (Sugimori Palettes)
- DreamOrDestruction – Suggesting the title “Mirage Of Tales”, which I would never have thought of by myself
- Tunak – Unwavering support for several years, providing ideas
- ranger016 – Suggesting the addition of the Ranger career and providing ideas